The circular central stone fountain is comprised of 13 groups of stones. Native trees were donated by the governors of the 13 original colonies. The 13 trees were planted in a circle, reflecting the circle of stars on the first flag of the colonies.
Madison was established on a shelf of high ground between Crooked Creek and the Ohio River, which unite about 4 miles downstream. Before statehood in 1816, Deleware Indians lived on the flat plains around the Madison area. Revolutionary war veteran, John Paul donated this land and was buried here. His remains along with at least 64 others remain. Headstones dated 1819~1839 were moved to Springdale Cemetery. Park design & development took almost 25 years. This land, cemetary and park go back to the early to mid 1800’s.